OUR VISION AND CORE VALUES
A volunteer is defined as an individual who, with school district authorization, voluntarily assists on a regular and ongoing basis of 20 hours or more per school year. District policy requires a volunteer to complete: a Volunteer Application, Megan’s Law Background Check, have a current TB clearance, sign a Volunteer Code of Conduct form, and sign in and out each visit on the Guest/Volunteer Registry located in our school office.
Prior to volunteering, volunteers must pre-arrange a day and time with the teacher. Volunteer Application and the Volunteer Code of Conduct can be picked up in the school office.
*Subject to change.
Every student graduates from Vista Unified as a resilient, agile learner and creative problem solver who navigates the world with confidence and kindness and eagerly embraces local and global challenges.
- Respect- Knowing, valuing, and treating all with dignity
- Trust- Focusing every decision on the best interests of our learners through transparency, honest communication and integrity
- Collaboration- Creating a culture of continuous improvement, working in partnership with students, families, staff, and the community
- Equity- Valuing diversity and providing equitable access and resources across the district for all students and adults to reach their full potential
- Kindness- Developing a compassionate, nurturing and kind learning and working environment
California's Megan's Law was enacted in 1996. It mandates the California Department of Justice (CA DOJ) to notify the public about specified registered sex offenders. All volunteers, visitors and guests will be scanned for a Megan’s Law clearance each time they enter a VUSD campus.
The Vista Unified School District Board Policy 1005 (c) requires that all persons who work with children more than 20 hours be screened and found to be free of tuberculosis. School volunteers should not begin work until the tuberculosis clearance is completed. A tuberculin screening or test is valid for four (4) years. Please note that tuberculin test results, by law, may not be accepted as valid if they are older than sixty (60) days. Please contact the school site Registered Nurse for screening.
DRESS AND GROOMING
The Governing Board believes that appropriate dress and grooming by district volunteers contribute to a productive learning environment and model positive behavior. During school hours and at school activities, volunteers shall maintain professional standards of dress and grooming that demonstrate their high regard for education, present an image consistent with their job responsibilities and assignment, and not endanger the health or safety of volunteers or students. All volunteers shall be held to the same standards.
BECOMING A SCHOOL VOLUNTEER
- School volunteers are required to complete a Volunteer Application each year prior to being allowed to participate as a volunteer.
- Volunteers must sign a Volunteer Code of Conduct each year prior to being allowed to volunteer.
- All volunteers, visitors and guests will be scanned for a Megan’s Law clearance each time they enter a campus through the visitor management system
COMPLETE AND SUBMIT THE VOLUNTEER APPLICATION *ALONG WITH ALL REQUIRE PROOFS TO THE FRONT OFFICE.
*DL/ID and current TB
(TB must be within 4 years)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Are you due for a
current TB test?
Complete the TB Assessment Questionnaire with our nurse Lisa!
TB Assessment Questionnaire
Call or email Lisa at (760) 419-9471 to schedule a time to finalize your TB clearance.
Incomplete or electronic applications will not be accepted. Please call the office with any questions.